Thursday, March 12, 2009

Super Mom





Is it possible? To be a super mom? I read Angie's post today, and I had a whole bunch of emotions run through me.

Sad- I know I can do better. I know I have what it takes to be a wonderful mom. But I don't feel like I come close to that potential. Are there even enough hours in the day? And what makes a mom super? Does she have to be a stay at home mom? Do I need to be teaching my child multiplication at 2? Should I take them to places they have never seen before? Does a super mom mean to have children that never talk back?

Happy- I AM a mother!!! I have been blessed to have children to nurture and mold into wonderful little people.

Motivated- Above all. I am going to make a strong effort! There are a list of things to change and list of things for me to start doing. One day at a time!


I recently gave a lesson in Young Womans on Homemaking. It was a bit silly. All the good stuff- make sure your house is clean, be a super mom, etc.:) But my favorite was a talk given by President Thomas S. Monson. To paraphrase he said, "In everything we have to do from church callings to soccer games to homemaking, try to take time. Just STOP!! The best time for wonderful memories to happen are when you have nothing planned and nothing organized. There can be wonderful teaching moments and times best spent. Just doing NOTHING!"

This is my goal for the summer- time well spent as a family. Not having to take them to the Zoo, or a museum. Just time together in the back yard being a FAMILY. Teaching them to be kind, teaching them to be loving. And hopefully being a more patient, loving mother in the meantime. Starting now- I am going to stop blogging, turn off then WII, and play with Dillon!

10 comments:

Kelli said...

i think that you are a SUPER MOM! I want to be more like you! I love that you wrote this. I am going to try to be the best mom I can be too! Thanks Britt you always know what to say!

Camille said...

Nobody can do it all, and if they say they do...they lie. All we are asked is to do the best we can. Way to go on doing your very best, you're doing great! Now I'm off to teach Max some algebra. :)

Nesting with Grace said...

What are you talking about...you are super! And I think since you wrote this post that you just thinking it makes you super! Ella lights up when she sees you, so I think that is PRETTY SUPER!
Love you

Beverly said...

So well written! I agree--it is so easy to get too busy going places and doing things. The times when we have nothing to do are some of the best. You do a great job at the mom thing--you have some lucky kids.

Chelsea Nelson said...

In my opinion, being a supermom is loving and adoring your kids.

My mom was the best and I can't remember doing anything extraordinary. But the way she loved me and continues to love me makes her my hero.

I know you feel the same for your kids. Don't be so hard on yourself. You are amazing.

Katherine said...

It is super easy to think that you aren't a good mom, but you have to remember that God (and everyone else) doesn't expect you to be perfect! However, I am with you and I'm going to try to be the best mom I can.

Anonymous said...

I love this post because I feel NOT like supermom. So much going on, not enough time, obsessing about cleaning and other things....this post is a good reminder for me to stop and just appreciate my most important roll as MOTHER! Hey leave me your email on my blog so that I can invite you to it when I got private!

Am-Biance said...

AMEN! What a great post Brit~ You ARE a super-Mom! You have such a beautiful family....

Cathy said...

Isn't it amazing that taking on the role of mother immediately gives us a huge chunk of guilt? How can we ever live up to the name of Mother or Mom? It is an overwhelming responsibility - just remember that you are already the recipient of some great love and trust - Heavenly Father has given you some of his most amazing children to nurture and raise. But He never asks you to do it alone - He will be there to help you - don't forget to ask! Also the whole "Super Mom" thing is myth - no one can do and be it all - you just can be the best you can and you are already doing that!
Love ya,
Cathy

Mom of three ♥ said...

Britt, this is the awnser to your comment on my blog. Yes Sawyer gets more scared with the hair dryer, Vacuum and a few other things we have noticed. Before with all that fluid in there I think things were muffled to him and now they are louder. I think he will get use to it just might take him longer now that his ears are open and without less crap in them!